PensionersRants

Friday, March 14, 2008

Ontario Drivers - Attention


Please see message below.


Hi Friends,Someone I know sent me this:
I just had an experience which I hope you will not share.


I was driving on the 417 West at Panmure at broad daylight at 2 p.m.,when I came upon two police cruisers who had pulled over a thirdvehicle. I slowed down to be cautious, and was surprised when the second cruiser pulled out and pulled me over.

Approaching on the passenger side, the officer asked if I knew why Ihad been pulled over. I honestly expressed that I had no idea.

He informed me that Ontario law now states that when approaching anyemergency vehicle, on the roadside, with lights flashing, you must enterthe left lane. He then proceeded to ticket me, taking three demerits andissuing a fine of , wait for it, . . . $490! (Yes, I'm choking as I type that.)

I realize I did not change lanes, but I do believe I was cautious. Mymessage is, be careful. He said that they are cracking down hard on thisbecause of three injured officers in the last ten days. I did not realize this was the law. Neither did any of my recently-licensedchildren. Or, evidently, not the 47 drivers (I counted) who broke the samelaw as I sat waiting to receive my ticket!

__________________________________________________________________

Hi,

For my part, I saw this happen today (Feb 24th) on Highway 69 South of Sudbury, on the passing lane on the Magnetewan flats. A cruiser was parked on the shoulder of the southbound lane with his lights flashing. He had no vehicle stopped, he was just parked there.

I was northbound and reduced my speed, the extra lane was on the southbound side so, there were two lanes between me and the cruiser.

A southbound motorist passed the cruiser without moving to the outer lane and the Officer immediately pulled out and gave chase to that driver.

I saw him stopping him in my mirror before going over the next hill. The car did not appear to be speeding, in fact he seemed too slow, but failed to change lanes and was (presumably) stopped for that reason!

Ted


Read the actual Law below:
Below is the the excerpt from the
Ontario Highway Traffic Act. relating to this offence. It is under section 159.1 (1), (2), (3),(4),(5).

Approaching stopped emergency vehicle


159.1 (1) Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light or red and blue light that is stopped on a highway, the driver of a vehicle travelling on the same side of the highway shall slow down and proceed with caution, having due regard for traffic on and the conditions of the highway and the weather, to ensure that the driver does not collide with the emergency vehicle or endanger any person outside of the emergency vehicle. 2002, c. 21, s. 1; 2007, c. 13, s. 20.


Same

(2) Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light that is stopped on a highway with two or more lanes of traffic on the same side of the highway as the side on which the emergency vehicle is stopped, the driver of a vehicle travelling in the same lane that the emergency vehicle is stopped in or in a lane that is adjacent to the emergency vehicle, in addition to slowing down and proceeding with caution as required by subsection (1), shall move into another lane if the movement can be made in safety. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.


Same

(3) Nothing in subsection (1) or (2) prevents a driver from stopping his or her vehicle and not passing the stopped emergency vehicle if stopping can be done in safety and is not otherwise prohibited by law. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.


Offence

(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable,(a) for a first offence, to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000; and(b) for each subsequent offence, to a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.


Time limit for subsequent offence
(5) An offence referred to in subsection (4) committed more than five years after a previous conviction for an offence referred to in subsection (4) is not a subsequent offence for the purpose of clause (4) (b). 2002, c. 21, s. 1

No comments: