PensionersRants

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

“The most troubling issue in many European cities these days is not migrants, its tourists.”


Having done a lot of travelling, I can relate to this. On my first trip to Rome, it was by way of a cruise ship. We were bussed in. At the Trevi Fountain, we could hardly move. Had trouble throwing my coins in. At the Vatican, we couldn’t get in because of the long lineups.
A week later we disembarked the ship in Venice, then took a train back to Rome, where we stayed awhile.
Now this was a totally different atmosphere. There were hardly anyone at the Trevi Fountain but too late for me, I already spent my coins. We went to the Vatican at 8:00 a.m. and there was maybe a dozen tourists. Took all the photos we wanted without a people background.
Last year we went to Germany and stayed in Munich and Fussen, a week each. It was just normal life, no pushing or shoving. Although any tourist attraction like Neuschwanstein castle, will have a lot of visitors, even from their own country.
Tourists bring in a lot of money, but it comes at a cost.