PensionersRants

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

OPEN HEART SURGERY

 

Just the mention of it can send shivers up your spine. I was waiting for a phone call to tell me when my operation would be. Got that call on Nov. 3. Your operation is tomorrow morning at 5:30 am. No time to think about it. The operation seemed to have gone well and I was out of the hospital in six days.

They gave me a small pillow, which I had to keep pressed against my chest, keeping my ribs from moving. The ribs had been broken apart and were now held together by a piece of wire. The worse pain was always when I sneezed. 

Four days later, at home, working on exercise etc. when I had an adverse reaction to my heart medicine. Had a collapsed kidney, blood pressure fell sharply, became dehydrated and had a stroke on the right side. Fell on the bathroom floor and an ambulance took me back to emergency. After five more days in the hospital, it was back home again. 

While I was in the hospital the second time, my daughter had a problem with the feeding tube going into her stomach. It started to bleed so she had to go to emergency. My son & wife put her in the van but the straps to hold the chair in place didn't work so they had to call an ambulance. 

When the ambulance came, they were unable to load up the wheelchair so had to call a second ambulance. They said we didn't need them, all we needed was a strap to tie down the wheelchair. They let us have one which we returned later. Now it's off to the hospital, same one where I am, at 10 pm

We knew the tube had to be replaced, it happens about every year and we always have a spare. After five hrs. in the hospital they said that they couldn't help right now, my wife would have to make an appointment and come back later. I think my wife may have lost it at that point, telling hem she was not leaving and she wanted something done now. 

Another doctor came, looked at my daughter, pulled out the tube, shoved in the new one and that was all. Maybe two minutes. Didn't even have on rubber gloves. This operation is similar to you checking the oil in your car. 

Then my wife said she was going to take our daughter upstairs to see me because she didn't know what was going to happen. Of course they said no, which started another battle. Finally the doctor took her to the elevator himself.

On the 7th. floor, they said no wheelchairs allowed. Away we go again. Finally they relented and the next thing I know, my daughter is wheeled into the room, face mask on and eyes as big as saucers. They stayed a few minutes and were gone. Now they had to put my wife into emergency because her blood pressure was so high. They finally got out of there at 5am. Seven hours for a ten minute fix.

After all that, I lost 17 pounds and my right foot drags a bit when I walk. Hopefully that will clear up. 

No comments: