PensionersRants

Friday, April 16, 2021

An Afternoon in Madrid

I

I'm watching a Spanish mini-series about the Basque movement in the 1960's. English subtitles. That's what's great about watching T.V. now, shows from different countries. So, I am watching this show and a protest march and riot in 1967 takes place. I'm reminded that I was in Madrid in 1967. My friend Bud and I leave our hotel and go to the train station to make arrangements for the train to southern Spain so we can go to Morocco. On the way back, as we approach the hotel we see a big mob. It's a protest mob that later turns into a riot. We weave our way through the crowd, knowing this is a bad place to be and finally get into the hotel. 

We go upstairs to the second floor where our room is and then we stand on our balcony and watch the riot. Along comes about a dozen or more grey police vans. They line up in a row and open the doors to the last one. Then the police grab people by the scruff of the neck and toss them into the van. When the van is filled, they close the door, drive away and the next van backs up. Same thing again till all the vans are filled. And that's the end of the riot. We stayed in the hotel bar that evening instead of going out. 

I'm putting up a photo of a van but the actual vans were smaller and no windows.