PensionersRants

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thank You GE

Its 7:20, Wed. morning . The wind is howling and it is still raining. Since Mon. morning. But its not a big deal. If this was snow instead of rain, it would be a big deal.
Received a call from my doctor on Mon. That was quick. He doesn't fool around when he has to call. Hospital wasn't happy with my results, so now I have to go back for another CAT Scan. That cyst is getting expensive.
Had toast for breakfast and looking at the toaster, I'm reminded of its age. Received it for a wedding present, so in Feb. I will have it for 40 yrs. It's used almost every day and more than once. Only changed the cord on it twice. Made by General Electric. They certainly don't make things like that anymore. Another example of that would be the old radio from the 1930's that I am redoing. Changing all the paper capacitors and the leads are wound tight around the posts and soldered. Just like pulling teeth.
In contrast, my wife wanted a calculator with big numbers. While getting a haircut, I noticed the barber had one. Asked him where he bought it and he said at the $1.00 store. So I went and bought one. Imagine, buying a calculator for $1.00 and expecting it to work. It didn't. Took it apart and couldn't believe what I saw. The circuit board was a piece of paper and the schematic was drawn in pencil. Put it back together and it still works a year later. Guess the sheet of paper wasn't seated properly. And that's about the only repair one can do on that.

No comments: