PensionersRants

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

San Francisco


I enjoyed my trip to San Francisco. Beautiful weather. Not too hot. And I had to do the thing all tourists do. Ride a streetcar. It was great. Found out how those things work. There is a cable that runs under the street at all the times. When they want to pull away, they just push down on the lever, it clamps unto the cable and away we go. All the drivers I saw were black and they were having a great time. I think they were all comedians. Sometimes they were so crowded, you had to hang on for dear life. Reminds me of trains in India. At one point an elderly couple wanted to get on. The driver said that there was two spots to hang on, on the other side. And hang on they did. Must have been experienced streetcar riders. There was a black lady next to me. At one point she said, "Darling, I guess we're not strangers any more."

Of course I had to get a picture of me hanging from a streetcar. I do have to admit that the car was standing still. If my son took my picture of a moving car, I would be gone and my son would still be standing there.

So I guess I can take that off my list of things to do. And while I have my list here, I should check fo others to remove. The one, "Climb Mount Everest" may as well go. Getting too crowded up there now, anyway.

No comments: